Are there any rules for writing an essay in English
Writing an essay is not as tough as you might think, it requires you to pay attention and be careful about your word selection and sentence structure. Mat English language is not difficult to learn if you pay attention and follow some simple rules. There are no hard and fast rules for writing an essay as such but you need to know a few basics to be able to compose a good essay.
The format of the essay
Every essay follows a same pattern regardless of the type and form. Each essay starts with an introduction where you present your topic to the readers and explain what the rest of the essay is about. The introduction usually consists of a thesis statement but that is optional. After the introduction, you have to write the body paragraphs. They need to be unique in their content and subject. After you have discussed your points in the body paragraph, you have to extract them in a conclusion. This is the last paragraph of your essay and needs to be precise and brief. It must summarize all that you have discussed in your essay.
5 rules to good essay writing
Apart from the format of the essay, there are a few basic rules every great writer has emphasized in their work. English does not need to be complicated or lengthy, it should be written in a comprehensive way and try to stay brief. Here are 5 rules that will improve your essay writing skills.
- There is a difference between writing for print and writing for online publication. You must understand this basic difference. Print is different from online writing, it has metaphors, and similes and other figures of speech, but they should be avoided in online writing.
- You should always try to replace long words with simple ones.
- Try to cut out repeated words, sentences and ideas.
- Always try your best to avoid using the passive voice. Only use it under necessary circumstances.
- If you are to use a jargon, scientific term, biological terminology or alien phrases, try giving an introduction before. If it is possible to replace it with a simple word from English language, do that.
The basic purpose of these points is that you should try your best to keep your essay simple and comprehensive. Cut out irrelevant material to add value to your paper.